Monday, March 28, 2016

City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare {REVIEW}

To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters - never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight.

As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadowhunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City - whatever the cost?

Love is a mortal sin and the secrets of the past prove deadly as Clary and Jace face down Valentine in the third installment of the New York Times bestselling series The Mortal Instruments.

Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal
Publication Date: March 24th 2009 
                               by Margaret K. McElderry Books 
Previous Book in the Series: City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

 
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars
My Review:
Finally I could sit down and write a review for this one! Well I had to re-read it once again but it's totally worth it. About time *wipes a sweat*

Needless to say, I've already finished the series. But guess it's a good thing I've read it so, so, so long go that I only remember the series in bits and pieces. With the airing of the show Shadowhunters on ABC and the publication of Lady Midnight by Clare, I couldn't have picked a better time I guess!
Plot-wise, this installment is kind of a letdown for me. For the most part I kept my eyes open to see something interesting happen. If I have to choose among the first three books of this series plot-wise, my vote would go to the second one. Even though I gave that a 4 star, it is hands down one of the tightly-knitted books in the series.

One of the reasons I like this book is the plot-twists. Sure, some were pretty predictable, like I knew about Sebastian's true identity (had a hunch from the beginning) even before the book revealed it. Still, the suspense element is up to the mark here. The shocking twist almost at the end regarding Jace. THAT totally threw me off-balance. And it rarely happens to me. Amazing work by the author *claps*

Even though I am still upset about how the author turned Jace into a love-struck puppy, I liked the intensity of his love for Clary. The pain and anguish he feels before the truth about the relationship is finally revealed, it's heart-wrenching at times. Though if I might add, the great declaration of love by Jace and Clary seemed a lot unnecessary to me. These two have been through so much, and yet they need official confirmation? What the heck?
Leaving my snide remarks and judgment aside, I do think the declaration by Jace was really touching no matter how unnecessary.
And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.
And no, I don't like Clary. I tried. I really, really tried so hard. Only if she stopped whining over every little thing :/

Apart from that, others were plain amazeballs. Specially Simon and Magnus. They are what kept me LOL-ing here and there throughout the book. Okay and Jace too. I like how being brokenhearted never robs him of his sarcastic voice.
"It's not gray," Clary felt compelled to point out. "It's green."
"If there was such a thing as terminal literalism, you'd have died in childhood," said Jace.
"Did you ever think that in a past life Alec was an old woman with ninety cats who was always yelling at the neighborhood kids to get off her lawn? Because I do."
“I am a man,” he told her, “and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone, woman, and bring me something brown.”
“Brown?” Isabelle made a face.
“Brown is a manly color,” said Jace, and yanked on a stray lock of Isabelle’s hair with his free hand. “In fact, look – Alec is wearing it.”
Alec looked mournfully down at his sweater. “It was black,” he said. “But then it faded.”
“You could dress it up with a sequined headband,” Magnus suggested, offering his boyfriend something blue and sparkly. “Just a thought.”
“Resist the urge, Alec.” Simon was sitting on the edge of a low wall with Maia beside him, though she appeared to be deep in conversation with Aline. “You’ll look like Olivia Newton-John in Xanadu.”
And can I say one more time that A FOR AWESOME MAGNUS?? Thank goodness he never loses his charm *_*
Malachi scowled. "I don't remember the Clave inviting you into the Glass City, Magnus Bane."
"They didn't," Magnus said. "Your wards are down."
"Really?" the Consul's voice dripped sarcasm. "I hadn't noticed."
Magnus looked concerned. "That's terrible. Someone should have told you." He glanced at Luke. "Tell him the wards are down.
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”
Let me stop right here or I might just end up giving excerpts of the book which would not be cool :|
The suspense, the thrill, the emotions and the ending is what makes it a perfect read (and re-read). 
Off to re-read the fourth one :D

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)