Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Confessions of a Queen B* by Crista McHugh {REVIEW}

Alexis Wyndham is the other type of Queen B—the Queen Bitch.

After years of being the subject of ridicule, she revels in her ability to make the in-crowd cower via the exposés on her blog, The Eastline Spy. Now that she's carved out her place in the high school hierarchy, she uses her position to help the unpopular kids walking the hallways.

Saving a freshman from bullies? Check.
Swapping insults with the head cheerleader? Check.
Falling for the star quarterback? So not a part of her plan.

But when Brett offers to help her solve the mystery of who’s posting X-rated videos from the girls’ locker room, she’ll have to swallow her pride and learn to see past the high school stereotypes she’s never questioned—until now.
Author: Crista McHugh
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publication Date:  July 28th 2015 
                                         by Crista McHugh

 


My Rating: 3 out of 5 stars
My Review:
Alexis, or Lexi (call her that only if you want to get your balls busted) is the Queen B of Eastline High. Not the type who does not care for a clique of her own, or a flock of ardent admirers, or making-boys-go-crazy over one flip of her hair. She is the feared one. She is the Queen Bitch.

Overall, I liked Alexis. As a character, she is pretty cool I'd say. Nobody messes with her. Students cower in front her. Even the Principal is scared to talk shit in front her. Which is a little unrealistic if you ask me. But all in all, I liked Alexis because she is a strong (though bitchy) and interesting character to read.

What I didn't like was how the plot was constructed. The blurb of the book promises mystery. Mystery of the hidden cameras in the girls' locker room. Mystery of finding the perpetrator. I feel the book spent 1/5 of the whole plot in doing that. It wasn't nicely built. I didn't find any suspense (and I really was looking for some). And finding out about the culprit was a letdown. Sure, I understand why the person did what s/he did. But I fell like the author had a great arc which she didn't do justice to.

As for other characters, I loved Richard. Between the only two friends of Alexis, Richard's character seemed more prominent and relatable. The male lead, Brett, however, was too good to be true. Sure, he was great. Perfect. But maybe that's the reason I felt the least connected to him. He is a real guy with real problems. But his character description sounds so generic I can't help yawning. He is the star quarterback. He is popular. He smells good (according to Alexis). Alexis' nemesis, Summer Hoyt, acts like she owns him. He is immune to Alexis' bitchy avatar and barbed remarks. He switched places with someone to be her project partner for god knows what reason. He makes amazing blueberry pies and plays horsy with his sisters. In short, he is the guy that makes almost every girl go 'Aww'. But while I liked him for all the above reasons, I just couldn't connect to him. What I did like though, is how the author didn't make Alexis go all gooey for him by the end on the book. I loved the decision she took and how the story ended. I wish there were more to the locker room mystery. I think I'll look out for the next book in the series, though I might not jump to get my hands on one.
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. Even if I cannot reply to all, I would love to hear from you. Have a great day :)